Monday, October 22, 2007

Do I really have time for this??

Time to update my blog I guess. Since I have began nursing school blogging has become more of a task than an outlet. I have wanted to write in it for quite some time now but have been annoyed with the thought of it.

Nursing school has been fun...being forced to befriend all the people who will inevitabley become my family for the next year or so. Even those who I would normally despise have become my allies in the process. I now understand that it pays to have friends even if you don't really like them. And then before you know it, you do actually like them. Stereotyping used to be a big part of my thinking process when meeting new people. I would label the "snobby" girls almost immediately before labeling anyone else. Then would come the "know-it-alls", then the "ghetto-fabulous" girls who are loud and abnoxious, and the ones I would not criticize would be the quiet nice ones who were "safe" to become friends with because their self-esteem was so low they would never do anything to hurt me. Somewhere along the line I learned to like all those who can hold a conversation. This makes for a much more carefree existence.

On another note, nursing school is easy so far, since we are just skimming the surface of the Nursing Fundamentals. I have made straight A's thus far, which I am proud of but at the same extent I would probably commit suicide if I didn't make A's since they were so easy to study for.

My little "nun" has adapted quite well to her daycare environment. Other than her keeping an ear infection, I couldn't be happier. Last week she had a fever of 105! I am not exaggerating!!! Factually, a high fever isn't a concern unless the bahavior changes dramatically and the child becomes lathargic, and I know this is scientifically true. But for some reason I still want to travel through the phone lines when talking to the nurse's hotline and STRANGLE the biotch on the other line for not being more concerned about my child's fever!!! I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs "SHE IS ON THE VERGE OF A SEIZURE! SEND AN AMBULANCE!" But almost effortlessly, the nurse on the other end of the line stays monotone and reassures me that everything is ok as long as my child maintains normal behavior. Avarie took most of her antibiotic for her ear infection which worked successfully for a week and now she is sick again, tugging at her ears. Welcome to daycare. In a few months we will be in a pre-op room for a second round of tubes. Aren't tubes suppost to last a few hours before falling out?

Back to nursing school...

I completely one clinical rotation at Cartersville Medical Center which was a joke for 3/4 of the time spent there. The first 3 days were spent shadowing pissed off nurses who "don't like to have students". The last day (last Friday) kind of made up for lost time considering me and my clinical buddy, Amanda, got to go in the ICU while the others had to stay in non-eventful med/surg. While in the ICU, there was an unexpected (of course) flat-liner in room 10. Me and my buddy asked if we could attend the "psot-mortem care" after the family and chaplin left. The tech and nurse agreed that it would be a valuable learning experience and allowed it. I won't devulge too many graphic details about my post-mortem experience but I will say it was a rare thing to experience this during clinicals.

Time for sleep...bye!

No comments: